I have dated North and South…and hands down southern men are the best. Here are the top 10 reason psychologists, professors and sex therapists agree – as stated by them.
10. They have traditional values. “Family connection is important because that’s the way they were raised. The community isn’t as close in the North,” notes Dr. Gail Rouse, assistant professor of psychology at Clark Atlanta University.
9. They treat women with R-E-S-P-E-C-T. “A man in the South is admired and rewarded for keeping the tradition of treating a woman the `right’ way. Southern men also have a higher respect for their mother, which is noted to determine how any man treats a mate.” says Dr. Diane Plummer, social psychologist and associate professor-chair of the department of psychology at Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA
8. Southern men accept women unconditionally. Ella Patterson, sex therapist, states that “Southern men have a tendency to accept the package as well as all that is a part of that package, which includes a woman’s children, responsibilities, trials and tribulations”
7. Southern men are more courteous than Northern Men. “They treat a woman the way they would want their mother to be treated. There are values present with Northern men, but they allow society to sway their thinking and values. They get confused with the value system.” says Dr. Diane Plummer.
6. Southern men are more sensitive than their Northern counterparts. “They tend to be more nurturing and accept a woman and the children whom she may bring from a previous relationship. He’ll accept the woman and her family with open arms,” Reveals sex therapist Ella Patterson. “Northern men are perceived as overaggressive, fast-paced, ambitious, insensitive and arrogant.”
5. Southern men believe in working hard to make a relationship work. Dr. Gail Rouse, assistant professor of psychology at Clark Atlanta University says “Southern men are more committed to trying to work on a relationship because its the right thing to do. Northern men believe if the relationship doesn’t work, they can go to another relationship.”
4. Southern men make better fathers. They teach traditional values to their children. “It goes deeper than cultural and racial aspects. One must look at the person as a whole. Children are products of their environment. If your father puts the family first, you’ll be this way as a husband.” says Dr. Plummer.
3. Southern Men are more committed partners. “Southern men’s value for relationships makes them more determined and committed toward making a relationship work, which would more than likely make them a better marriage partner,” according to Dr. Gail Rouse
2. They will step up when others don’t. Dr. Plummer explains, “Southern men are the gentlemen who are more traditional with values instilled. They are also perceived as hard-working. The family comes first.” (I have seen this myself when a friend was pregnant so several of her Southern Male friends proposed.)
and the Number ! Reason to LOVE Southern men (drum roll Please)
1. Southern men make better husbands!!!! Dr. Gail Rouse, assistant professor of psychology at Clark Atlanta University, “Southern men make better marriage partners because they value family.” Ella Patterson adds “There is a high respect for the matriarch of the family down South. They feel that what goes around comes around.”